Friday, December 14, 2012

See That Girl, She's A Knit Machine

This last month's worth of posts have all been about finished knitting. I really wish I had some adventures to talk about, but all my time has been eaten up by work (tis the season of the retail worker), The Book stuff, and gift knitting. My room is officially a designated factory zone. I finished the silk hankie sample for work. Rav page is here. It's made of two Abstract Fiber silk hankies. Colors are Smith Rock and Hopworks. If I were to keep it, I'd use it as a wide headband.


I finished my Rock Island shawl. I was ready to give it away as a present. But the more I looked at it, the harder it got to imagine it not being with me. So I'm keeping it.

It has more to do with who gave me the yarn than being a greedy knitter. Also, I had plenty of yarn left over. Even though the shawl is knit from the bottom-up and each row gets shorter, I was sure I was going to be short until I was 10 rows from the end. I did take AC's advice and knit it faster. Because, as all knitters know, if you knit faster, you won't run out of yarn.

I bought a skein of Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in Purple to make a replacement gift. It will be a different pattern, which I'll stay silent on for now. I'm waiting on some beads to show up on my doorstep before I cast on.

So in the meantime I've cast on a different gift knit. The yarn is Curious Creek Fibers Wasonga in the Emerald City colorway. It's a shawl. But again, I'll keep quiet about the specifics on the blog for now.

In other news, I've ordered yarn for the last pattern for The Book. I spent quite a bit of time on Wednesday making different charts for different sizes. I'll be measuring my brother, who will be modeling, when he comes home in a few days. All going well, knitting will commence in the next week or so. Just call me the knit machine. (For some reason, I have the ABBA tune Dancing Queen in my head when I see the words Knit Machine.)

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting! Last pattern. You're so close. Plus, the shawl came out gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Add to that "I want to sit and knit all day, I want to play with yarn..." (think Queen - Bicycle) and we can both sit there singing knitting songs. hehehe. I actually wrote out an entire knitting song to that lyric but my son threatened physical harm if I dared publish it. :( (his reasoning being I was going to defile the memory of Freddy Mercury. Sigh)

Your projects look amazing. The shawl is so lovely, I'm not surprised you're keeping it.

Jennifer said...

Wow, you are so productive! And what lovely finished knits. The shawl is STUNNING. I am hoping to finish a bunch of projects in my UFO basket before the year / holidays are up.

Unknown said...

You are certainly a knit machine! Your Rock Island is fantastic and nobody would blame you for keeping it. I wear mine constantly, it's a great accessory. Incidentally, I think we have similar taste in shawls because the new one you are starting is one of my favorites.

Maryse said...

So much more knitting action at Bear Ears than over here ;-) Your Rock Island is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy the Holidays!

Pumpkin said...

I'm so happy to hear about the latest progress on the book, keep up the wonderful work. I have no idea how you manage to work, design, and knit such beautiful things and still sleep. Also, I'm glad you decided to keep the shawl, it looks beautiful on you.

José said...

Wow... how do you manage ? Are there moments that you dón't knit ? ;)
The shawl is a beauty, I can see why you keep it ! Love the colours of that silk hankie, too.
Curious; are you going to take a Christmas knitting-break or will you knit on as far as during Christmas dinner... ? ;)

Mademoiselle Marie said...

The shawl is beautiful! I've been wanting to knit it for years but a friend of mine frogged it after two weeks of very stressful knitting - she claimed it was the most difficult lace project she ever attempted so now I'm kind of scared to give it a try :(

AC said...

Freaking gorgeous! I know I'm late to the party but I'm catching up on all of my blog reading. I don't blame you for keeping it for yourself because it is absolutely amazeballs!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...