Monday, August 26, 2013

Down The Rabbit Hole

Today I begin a series of posts about each design that shows up in Lit Knits. Within Lit Knits, the patterns appear in the same order that the book they are inspired by were published, starting with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Published in 1865, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has inspired a great number of works, including the Disney movie. Unlike all the other little girls I knew who liked the Disney princesses, I loved Alice in Wonderland. I remember other little girls thinking I was strange for not having a favorite princess. Obviously I was ahead of my time... Alice in Wonderland became popular when I got to high school.

I've read the book several times, and as I began designing my own patterns, I thought about making White Rabbit-inspired mittens. The idea spanned across several years, 2 notebooks, and never really left my mind. Even before I officially started writing Lit Knits, I began to knit the mittens, as we can see in this 2011 post.

The mittens, called Down The Rabbit Hole, features a watch in the left hand. The White Rabbit is always late, so a pair of White Rabbit mittens had to include a watch. Although the chess game is featured in the sequel, Through The Looking Glass, I went ahead and chose a checkerboard pattern for the mitten palms. The thumbs are made to blend into the palms.

The front of the mittens have a silhouette of the White Rabbit rushing across the checkerboard pattern.

The photoshoot for Down The Rabbit Hole was the very last one to be completed. It was done the same day as the Robin Hoodie shoot and we were all starting to get tired and hungry. As walked through the arboretum, we spotted this patch of flowers. The lighting was absolutely perfect.

Oddly enough, in the middle of our shoot, two guys stopped just to the right of us. One guy immediately took his shirt off and posed a bit while his friend took pictures. I'm not really sure which group of people looked more weird. The one shirtless guy and his friend or the three of us with our White Rabbit themed shoot.

4 comments :

Unknown said...

These are really gorgeous! I love that you chose muted colours together.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. Such a clever idea too, putting the watch on the palm!

Jennifer said...

These are fantastic mitts! Though, I admit that I have mixed feelings about Alice in Wonderland... considering that it was responsible for all sorts of weird and often disturbing dreams during my childhood.

Maryse said...

I love mitttens and I love the detail of the clock in the inside!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...