Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Yarn Crawl Of Doooooom

A bunch of us celebrated being done with various projects at the end of August. The only way to truly celebrate when you are a knitter is to go on a yarn crawl. (This might have become some sort of tradition. Carol, Krista, and I did a similar yarn crawl last year when we saw the Yarn Harlot.)
The first stop was K2TOG in Albany. Carol found a pair skeins that would help her finish up a sweater. Krista and I got yarn for no other reason than "because we liked it" and Tyler managed to resist, despite my best efforts to enable. Apparently he needed to save himself for our next stop....

Which was A Verb For Keeping Warm. Tyler had talked about Verb so often that we all thought that he had been there many, many times. Turns out it was his first visit. He almost left with nothing again, but I turned on my super powers of persuasion and he left with a sweater's amount of Shelter. HA! Carol also left with a sweater's amount (Tosh DK). However, Carol is really into three color Brioche at the moment, so her sweater's amount could have made 2-3 sweaters. And Krista got some fiber to spin (camel and silk, I think) and a skein of Verb's house yarn. I got off relatively light. I only bought 2 skeins of Tosh DK in Cousteau to make another Deep Sea Wanderer.

After Verb, we went to lunch at a place down the street from Article Pract. The place kind of reminded me of "The Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld. You could order one of two things and the line was out the door and down the street. The chicken sandwich was worth it though.
Promptly after lunch we explored Article Pract. Once again Tyler got off scott free, but not before he found me some yarn that perfectly matched my loud biking shoes. Both Carol and Krista bought some Habu. 
Krista, Article Pract, and I have an interesting relationship. Krista has only been to Article Pract two times, but has four reciepts. Both times, I have been there with her and managed to tempt her enough into going back to the counter to buy more things. This time she liked the skein of Sweet Georgia I was holding. I was kind enough to find another skein for her.
Last year we did a silly picture. It has become a kind of tradition.

We stopped at Lacis Museum of Lace and Textiles. There were so many books! My favorite were the Japanese Stitch Dictionaries. Only Krista fell down. But Carol has been working hard to get everyone to buy a copy of Knitting Brioche. So far, almost everyone has. Everyone except me... for now. 

So here is the Haul. A skein of Cascade 220 fingering in Mossy Rock and two skeins balls of Crystal Palace's Sausalito in Big Sur from K2TOG. (I'll admit it. I bought the two balls because they were called Big Sur. I almost got Half Moon Bay too, but managed to resist.) Then two skeins of Tosh DK in Cousteau from A Verb For Keeping Warm. From Article PRact I got two skeins of Alchemy's Juniper in the colors Tangerine and Blue Jay Way. I also ended up with two skeins of Sweet Georgia's Tough Love Sock in the colors Summer Skin and Lakeshore Drive.

I'm proud to say that I've already knit up the Alchemy and have started in on the Tosh DK. I'm also pleased to say that I have managed to knit up all the yarn I collected on last year's yarn crawl. Go me!

In other news, everyone but Carol "fell down" and bought more yarn within a week of the crawl. It took Carol two weeks to fall down, but only because she was really busy.

5 comments :

Jennifer said...

What fun! And what a great way to celebrate and treat yourselves! I'm sort of jealous how many yarn shops you must be near to... we only have 1 LYS that is currently open. :(

Alicia said...

Every time I see that Cousteau color I swoon a little!

Andi said...

Bakesale Betty's is so good! The trick is to go with someone who doesn't knit, and you make them stand in line while you check out Article Pract.

Anonymous said...

I just love the looks of glee on your faces at your acquisitions! And no wonder, because the yarn looks fabulous! I recognise that look on my own face every time I've had a great knitting purchase experience. How wonderful to be able to do that crawl with knitting friends.

Anonymous said...

Excellent purchases! I am a big fan of treating myself after I finish something big, and when you finish something as big as a BOOK, the treat should be similar in size :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...